Between 1870 and 1880 the first library of Litchfield was organized.
The Ladies Library Association formed in 1900 but lasted only a short time.
In the early 1920's, the Litchfield Public Library was formed. Its goals were “to establish and maintain a library, encourage and reading of good books, and to improve the literary improvements of the community.”
The Library moved twice from 1940 to 1967 and in the fall of 1973 the Library moved to its present location. With contributions of over $250,000 from the Simpson Foundation and citizens of Litchfield the Library was able to redecorate and buy necessary furnishings.
In October 1973 Litchfield Township and the City of Litchfield combined to form the Litchfield District Library (LDL).
In 1974 the Litchfield District Library joined the Willard Library System with headquarters in Battle Creek.
In 2001 computers were purchased through a grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation allowing patrons access to the web using one of three public computers.
In 2007 the Library became WI-FI certified giving people the ability to use their laptops and surf the web using a secure wireless connection.
LITCHFIELD DISTRICT LIBRARY - Our Community's Living Room